February 15, 2015 by Susan Murray
Let’s face it, there are a lot of options when it comes to accommodations these days: hotels, motels, inns, cabins, RV’s, short-term rentals and even a friend’s couch. So why stay at a Bed & Breakfast? And, more specifically, why stay at the Carolina Bed & Breakfast in Asheville?
1) A Bed & Breakfast is not a room in someone’s house. You do not share a bathroom. The rooms are quiet and private. Beds should be of a very high quality as are the linens and amenities. ( At our B&B, we provide custom-made shampoo, conditioner, soap, bath crystals and body lotion along with robes, hair dyers and make-up remover towels).
2) Sometimes you want the anonymity of a hotel room with their cookie-cutter rooms and grab-a-coffee-and-go breakfasts, and I get that. Sometimes it’s what I want too. But sometimes you want something more: you want an experience which is personal and memorable, not just of the town you visited but also of the place in which you stayed. Most Bed and Breakfasts will have a number of rooms, each of which is different. Your room may have a fireplace, a jacuzzi tub, original artwork and Oriental rugs (at least ours do!)
3) The food. The B&B’s in our town have a saying: “The food in Asheville begins with breakfast.” Now you may like to grab a mealy apple and a shrink-wrapped muffin from the “complimentary breakfast” in a hotel, or perhaps you like to spend $20 on a breakfast buffet, but if that’s not your idea of a good deal you should try a Bed and Breakfast. At our Asheville Inn we serve a two course breakfast which is pretty special. Our dishes use fresh, local ingredients, seasonal produce and herbs. We alternate sweet and savory breakfasts everyday and with advance notice we can accommodate pretty much any special diet or regime.
4) The food. The Carolina Bed & Breakfast is not just about breakfast. Every evening we have a reception for our guests which includes a selection of canapes and hors d’oeurves which rivals any you would find at the best cocktail party. You don’t believe me? Check out our “Friday Night Bites” Board on Pinterest. Every item in there is one which has been served at our inn. And if that’s not enough, you will find a guest pantry stocked with coffee, tea, soda, water and home-made cookies. Still hungry? We leave a dessert on your bedside table every night. Not all inns will go to this extreme but certainly the best ones in Asheville can be expected to provide something similar. And it’s all included in your room rate, unlike the mini-fridge in your hotel room.5) You can stay at a Bed & Breakfast and still have privacy. It is true that at some inns breakfast is served at a communal table with a single seating. But an equal number have separate tables and an extended breakfast time. Some will even deliver breakfast to your room. At the Carolina Bed & Breakfast we have two large tables. Breakfast is served at our guests’ convenience between 8:30-9:30. Guests may sit together or separately. In addition, guests staying in our cottage have the option of breakfast in their room or outside on the terrace. The breakfast options will be clearly stated, usually in the policies section on an inn’s website. Or you can call and ask. Innkeepers are very accommodating and may make special arrangements for you.
6) Still on privacy–you are not sharing the innkeeper’s living quarters. We have our own private space. The living rooms, porches and grounds are for the use of our guests. If you need us, you can generally find us back in our office. We understand that you are here to relax and enjoy each other’s company!
7) Innkeepers are small business owners who know their town and its surroundings well. If you are looking for a good hike, James and I know where to send you because we have hiked extensively in our mountains. If you are looking for a good restaurant, James and I will recommend restaurants we know and at which we have eaten. If there is a tour in town, a festival or event, we will try it out so we can let our guests know how to get there, where to park and what to expect. You don’t have to avail yourselves of our knowledge but we are happy to share it with you!
We hope you will consider a B&B for your next vacation and if that vacation takes you to Asheville, consider the Carolina Bed & Breakfast for your stay!
Posted in Carolina Bed and Breakfast, Innkeeping | Leave a comment